Fish oil supplements have over the past few decades earned the reputation of being “brain food” as they have been used to treat various types of mental impairment and illness among other benefits such as Alzheimer’s disease, developmental coordination disorder, migraine headache, epilepsy, schizophrenia, post traumatic stress disorder, along with conditions related to the heart and blood system. They not only make you feel better but also keeps your body healthy.
If you are looking for good fish oil supplements, there are a few things that you need to keep a check on. Firstly, look at how much omega-3 there will be in each capsule. Ideally, it should be between 2000 to 4000 mg per day. Secondly, be informed about the EPA and DHA percentages in it, which means that the higher are their percentages, the better is the product. Thirdly, see what the capsule is coated with to ensure that it does not contain any harmful thing such as PVC.
In this detailed article, we will give you a thorough guide on some of the best fish oil supplements in the market in 2019 and why you should buy them, along with a constructive and well researched buyers’ guide.
7 Best Fish Oil Supplements 2019
1. Nordic Naturals
Nordic Naturals have all the right ingredients that you will require in a fish oil. It has been lab-tested, thus providing you with the highest quality of fish you possible without any kind of impurities. It further consists of a high level of triglyceride so as to provide with optimal absorption in the body. It comes with 1280 mg of omega-3 fatty acids per capsule.
You will find a lot of fish oil supplements in the market which will not provide you with details on the level of EPA and DHA that every capsule consists of, but Nordic Naturals states the two clearly on the back of the box with EPA level being 650 mg and DHA level being 450 mg. It is made of wild-caught fish (sardines and anchovies), which means that it is most likely not to contain any form of additives or fillers. It is one of the most popular fish oil supplements recommended by doctors worldwide.
Why Do We Recommend This Product?
- It consists of 1280 mg of omega-3 fatty acids per capsule which means that you only require one capsule per day. However, your doctor will recommend you to take two capsules per day.
- For optimal level of absorption in your body, this fish oil supplement comes in triglyceride molecular form. It also does not contain any kind of synthetic fat or ethyl esters. You will get a fresh natural taste of lemon. You also need not worry about fishy burps!
- It has been sourced from wild-caught fish such as sardines and anchovies, so you need not worry about any form of fillers or additives in it.
- It has been sustainably sourced keeping in mind that the brand practises have used ethical methods and is eco-friendly. It further uses only non-GMO ingredients, and no artificial colors or preservatives.
Nutrigold has come up with triple strength omega-3 fish oil supplements which have been sourced from sustainable wild caught salmons (Alaskan Pollock). Each capsule comprises of 2100 mg of omega-3 fatty acids. These are the primary factors for its worldwide popularity as it means that the product comes with the highest level of purity and is also eco-friendly. It comes at a reasonable price and has 3:1 level of EPA:DHA ratio. You will need only one serving per day as it provides you with 2100 mg of pure omega-3s in an absorbable Triglyceride form. The fact that it comes with an Advanced Molecular Distillation means that it will guarantee you with exceptional purity and potency.
It has been five star certified by the IFOS, thus ensuring that the capsules are pure and clean. The ingredients in the capsules are non-GMO and contains 1450 mg of EPA per serving with 550 mg of DHA. It might be slightly costly, but is worth the amount you spend in it. It has also been certified to be free of Mercury, Dioxins, PCBs and toxins. You will get as many as 180 softgels in every bottle. The Nutrigold Omega-3 fish oil supplements are the only ones which have more third-party certifications for its accuracy in label and purity than most other fish oil supplements you will find in the market, including International Fish Oil Standards Program (IFOS), Consumer Lab and a 77 out of 100 rating from Labdoor.
Why Do We Recommend This Product?
- It has been sourced from sustainable wild caught salmons (Alaskan Pollock) that makes them pure and clean. It does not have any level of enteric coating, and no chemicals, preservatives or artificial colors.
- It features a highly absorbable triglyceride formula. Further, it is free of Mercury, heavy metals, PCBs and other toxins. This is one of the prime reasons why it has been teste, approved and given five star rating by IFOS.
- You require not more than two softgels per day, which will break down to 1000 mg of EHA and DHA with every pill that you take. The price might be slightly high but be assured you will get the best quality fish oil supplements in the market.
- Nutrigold is composed of not more than 5-6 ingredients and one of it is water. The fact that it lacks any level of toxin speaks for the purity of the supplements. The level of PCB and Mercury is less than 0.01 PPM.
3. Viva Labs Ultra Strength Fish Oil
The Viva Naturals Omega-3 fish oil supplements are great in terms of their quality, value, effectiveness and lack of side effects. You will get 2200 mg of fish oil along with 1880 mg of omega-3s (1400 mg EPA and 480 mg of DHA) with each capsule, which is thrice the amount of serving you will get as compared to most of the leading fish oil supplements in the market today. It is non-GMO and has been sourced from wild, not-farmed raised fishes that have been caught using sustainable fishing methods.
You will get a combination of small as well as cold water fishes such as mackerel and sardines. These fishes have least level of toxins in them as compared to a bigger fish such as salmon. They have been five star certified by International Fish Oil Standards Program (IFOS), which is by far the highest rank that a good quality fish oil can get. They easy to swallow and do not even taste fishy and you will not have the fishy burps as after effect. They are produced in triglyceride form and it has been clinically proven to be easier to absorb in our body, thus allowing you to get most from your serving.
Why Do We Recommend This Product?
- Unlike most other fish oils, this product delivers triple the quantity of omega-3s in every serving, as compared to most of the leading fish supplement oils. With each serving you get 2200 mg of fish oil, 1400 mg of EPA and 480 mg of DHA.
- There is no fishy aftertaste to them as the fish oil supplements are not of low quality. Any form of toxin or heavy metal is filtered out so as to provide you with high quality and clean oil.
- It has been given a five star rating by IFOS (International Fish Oil Standards Program). The fishes caught for making these fish oil supplements have been caught with the use of sustainable fishing method and the fishes are also wild ones and not farm raised such as sardines and mackerel.
- Viva Labs use an extraction method which does not require them to heat thus retaining the essential nutrients in the fish oil, and they also do not have any fishy odor to them. Furthermore, they do not contain any form of artificial flavour, additives or preservatives.
4. Life & Food Omega-3 Supreme Fish Oil
The Life & Food Omega-3 Supreme fish oil provides you with one of the best absorption among the wide range of fish oil supplements available in the market. These supplements have been formulated so as to provide you with optimal level of omega, ie., 3:6 ratio. It consists of 1050 mg of omega 3 which makes for 664 mg of EPA and 336 mg of DHA. These supplements are sourced from wild caught Alaskan Pollocks and they provide you with a refined and clean taste thereby ensuring you of the quality of the product. They are easy to swallow and comes with enteric coating for optimal absorption level.
They are pharmaceutical graded and comes with 75% of omega-3s which is the highest standard, according to Labdoor’s quality testing and GOED standards. To provide you with the best of fish oil, the product goes through cold extraction, molecular distillation and filtration, thus removing the fishy aftertaste, along with removal of PCBs, toxins and any form of heavy metals, and also retaining the essential nutrients of the fishes. Furthermore, they are easy to swallow as the capsules are soft and small.
Why Do We Recommend This Product?
- They have been third party tested and approved and has been sourced out of sustainable, not raised in farm and wild caught Alaskan Pollocks.
- Apart from the fact that they do not contain any PCBs, heavy metals or toxins; they provide you with 1050 mg of omega-3 fatty acids along with 644 mg of EPA and 336 mg of DHA in per serving. It also contains no artificial flavours, fillers, binders and is gluten free.
- They come with thick coating which is meant to hold together until they reach the lower digestive tract, where they slowly dissolve. They extra-thick coating helps to remove any fishy smell that you will find in most fish oil supplements.
- They are easy to swallow as they are typically half the size of most fish oil supplements: just the size of jelly beans. It is because of their tiny nub size that they are easy to take and swallow especially for old aged adults.
5. Dr Tobias Omega 3 Triple Strength Fish Oil
Dr Tobias’ Triple Strength is a renowned brand in fish oil, which has been sourced from herring, anchovy, sardine, salmon and mackerel; in addition to soy. Each serving comes with 1000 mg of softgel that can daily be taken along with your meal. It has been purified with molecular distillation and also has been tested and certified by third party lab. Furthermore, it comprises of 800 mg of EPA and 600 mg of DHA per serving. Labdoor has rated it higher than most of the good quality fish oil supplement brands. 705 of the product is made of fish oil, consisting of 1:3 ratio of EPA to DHA. The supplements come with enteric coating to help you better with absorption of the essential fatty acids, which also prevents any kind of fishy aftertaste and burps.
They come in a count of 180 per bottle and are non-GMO, which means that you do not have to worry about harmful chemicals or how negatively they would affect your health. You have to take only two softgels per day giving you the required dose per day, without you having to take several capsules in a single day. The good part about these supplements from Dr Tobias is that they easily and quickly absorb into your body and reduces any risk of after taste. The way they are purified help to remove any form of heavy metals from the fish oil. This product has been thoroughly tested so as to ensure the highest standard in terms of quality and potency.
Why Do We Recommend This Product?
- These supplements have undergone a molecular distillation process and have been third party tested and approved to ensure that it is free of heavy metals, PCBs and any toxic chemicals.
- It comes with a higher amount of omega 3s, EPA and DHA compared to other fish oils, so that you do not have to take several doses through the day. Clinically, two doses are sufficient for the day.
- It comes with enteric coating so as to help you in absorbing the supplements better and promote enhanced absorption. The absorption aiding ratio of EPA to DHA is 4:3.
6. OmegaVia Fish Oil
The fish oil supplement by OmegaVia comes with 1105 mg of omega-3 fatty acids, of which EPA is 780 mg and DHA is 260 mg. The amount of fish oil in these supplements is 86% of the total. The level of Mercury and PCB levels is extremely low and a lot below the upper limit of most of the reputable fish oil supplement brands. The mercury level was only at one part per billion as detected by a third party lab. The fish oil has been sourced out of wild caught fish such as Alaskan Pollock and Whiting fish from the Alaskan waters.
The amount of ingredients in it are simple but of high quality. It also consists of a smaller quantity of Vitamin E as a natural preservative. You will get a total of 60 counts in one bottle. The fish sourced for these supplements are from Alaska, Peru and Chile. The capsules are enteric coated, which helps in preventing fishy smell and taste as well as easy absorption in the body and to ease any kind of discomfort in the stomach. The capsules have been thoroughly tested to ensure that they are safe and potent to use.
Why Do We Recommend This Product?
- It has been certified five star by IFOS (International Fish Oil Standards Program) and each batch tested has been potent, pure and fresh.
- It has been purified by Supercritical CO2 Extraction, which is a latest state of art fish oil purification technology. It further comes in triglyceride form (rTG) Omega-3 with 15 mg DPA for added benefits.
- Each serving comes with 1190 mg omega-3 fatty acids which consists of 870 mg of EPA and 260 mg of DHA. The amount of omega-3 in this fish oil is 90%.
- The level of Mercury and PCB are extremely low. Aforementioned, the level of Mercury is one part of a billion and the level of PCB is also below detectable limits as researched by a independent third party lab.
7. Wiley’s Finest Wild Alaskan Fish Oil
Wiley’s Finest Wild Alaskan Fish Oils come from fully sustainable source and have been sourced from highest quality fishes. They consists of natural Omega-3 (EPA and DHA), which help in maintaining the normal cardiac function and normal circulation of blood along with proper functioning of the eyes and brain. They comprise of Alaskan Pollock, fish gelatin, glycerin, purified water and Vitamin E. If you open the website of Wiley’s, you will be informed how the fish oil has been extracted from the eyes, heads and livers of the fishes caught for safe human consumption.
The saturated fats of the fish are refined thoroughly. Furthermore, the packaging also comes in post-consumer recycled paperboard. It is highly recommended for those who want to maintain their normal cardiac functioning, blood pressure and normal blood concentration of cholesterol and triglycerides. Furthermore, it comes in a natural lemon flavour. You get a total of 630 mg of EPA and DHA omega-3 per serving.
Why Do We Recommend This Product?
- All the ingredients in this product have been purified by latest state of art purification technology.
- The fish oil supplements are manufactured keeping in mind international quality standards. They use molecular distillation and purification techniques to assure that any kind of PCB, lead, cadmium, mercury or arsenic is removed from the concentration of ingredients in the supplements. Also, the ingredients are gluten free, and no artificial flavours or colours have been added to it.
- All the supplements are packaged and also purified in a family owned and operated facility in the US itself, unlike the other fish oil brands which are usually manufactured from anchovy oil in various countries.
Who Should Buy Fish Oil Supplements?
Fish oil supplements is a concentration of the purified form of fats that is derived from oily fishes such as salmon, mackerel and herring. It has a world of health benefits as it helps to improve triglycerides, pregnancy, heart health and also decreases the potential of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease and cognitive decline.
It helps in preventing the risk of heart disease and stroke as well as clogging of arteries, chest pain, irregular heartbeat, bypass surgery, rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure post a heart transplant surgery.
It also known to cure kidney related problems such as kidney failure, diabetes, cirrhosis, Berger’s disease. It also called as “brain food” as it helps to fight mental illness such as bipolar disorder, psychosis, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, migraine, epilepsy, schizophrenia and post traumatic stress disorder among many others.
Furthermore, it is also extremely useful for dry eyes, cataracts, glaucoma, age related macular degeneration which is very common among older people. It is also useful for preventing any eye problem that is caused as a consequence to diabetes.
It is taken by women so as to avoid the pain of periods, breast pain or some complication during pregnancy such as miscarriage, slow infant growth or even to promote infant development. Fish oil also helps you in weight loss and also to help your muscles gain strength and to prevent problems such as pneumonia, cancer, lung disease, seasonal allergies, chronic fatigue syndrome or even to prevent blood vessels from narrowing after a major surgery.
What Are Omega 3 Fatty Acids?
Omega 3 fatty acids are found in natural fish oils which are an essential part to their cell membranes, that directly affects the functioning of the cell receptors. They help in the production of hormones that improves blood vessel functioning, regulates genetic functioning and also reduce inflammation. Omega 3 fats are a part of the polyunsaturated fats family. The three primary omega 3s are: eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). EPA and DHA are majorly derived from animals and algae, while ALA is found in plants, vegetable oils, leafy greens and nuts. The body can convert ALA to EPA and DHA but the process is pretty slow and there will be a number of factors that affect their conversion.
How Do You Ensure That You Have Got The Right Fish Oil Supplements For Yourself
1. Consult A Doctor First
Before you take any kind of nutritional supplements whether it be biotin for hair growth, vitamin capsules or fish oil supplements, always ensure that you consult with your doctor first. It is not always enough to get your research done and then go about using it. In the context of fish oil, they have been clinically proven effective against triglycerides but if you are already taking some kind of medication then it is important that you are made to understand of the negative implications of mixing more than one medication. So consult with your doctor and find out of the common concerns with regard to consuming fish oil.
2. Are You Already Getting Enough Omega-3s?
If you already follow a diet that is rich in fish or omega-3 stocked nuts and grains, then you would not require the use of fish oil supplements on a day to day basis. In places such as Japan, the population in majority already exhibit half the bodily supply of EPA and DHA, as the consumption of fish is higher in those places.
3. What Is The Most Important To You In A Fish Oil Supplement?
A lot of people consume fish oil because they are known to help you maintain your heart health as well as for soothing your joints and lowering your blood pressure, along with various mental health benefits. But it won’t be beneficial to you if you cannot afford it or consume it or are allergic to its taste. The reason could be many such as high price, background practise, allergy to the taste which could directly impact you. So, always know what is the primary reason for you to start talking fish oil supplements.
4. Take The Right Dose
Excess of anything is bad, the same counts for fish oil supplements. If you are taking a high-end supplement that has been third party tested for purity and potency, then taking more than one or two dose per day could have negative impact on your body. According to the regular standards, the daily dose of EPA+DHA is not more than 1000 mg. FDA has stated that on a daily consumption basis, one should not exceed more than 3000 mg per day.
What To Look For In Fish Oil Supplements?
The first and foremost thing is to ensure that it is either EuroFins certified or IFOS compliant. You need to ask the manufacturer for a Certificate of Analysis (COA) for a particular batch, which is the easiest way of verifying the purity of the fish oil. If it is a legitimate manufacturer they will easily be able to provide you with a batch specific Certificate of Analysis. This will help you know about the exact ingredients in the fish oil and not just the content of EPA and DHA, along with the level of oxidation, heavy metals and other potential chemicals.
Just do a simple bite test to determine the freshness level of the fish oil. If it is a high quality and fresh fish oil, it will either taste or smell of fish. The oil has to be relatively semi-transparent and free of any kind of floaters.
Omega 3s come in four primary forms. Omega 3s are in their natural state when they are in the triglyceride form. There is also another cheaper form of manufacturing it which yields and it is called ethyl ester (EE). This is a semi-synthetic form of omega 3s which consists of ethanol backbone which is relatively difficult to absorb for the body. Most of the fish oils today are in the EE form. Some of the other forms consists of phospholipids and monoglycerides.
Always ensure that you check the level of EPA and DHA in the fish oil. A lot of companies boost of having higher amount of omega-3 fatty acids but if you give a look at the supplement facts box you will realise that the content of EPA and DHA is far less. Ideally, the therapeutic range falls between 1 to 6 grams in one day depending on what clinical conditions you have.
Good quality fish oil supplements provide with the right amount of EPA and DHA omega-3 fatty acids per serving. All the supplement brands mentioned in this article have been certified by one third party lab or the other. Moreover, they are also sustainably sourced, which makes them a healthy option for people across all ages. So, if you want to stay fit and healthy, fish oil supplements should become critical to your health. Another reason for taking these supplements is because these days people do not consume the required amount of fish in their diet.