We have tested almost every single leg press machine available in the market in our labs. These tests were carried out by our fitness experts and we have considered points such as build quality, smoothness, pads, and bearings, resistance levels of these machines to choose the best leg press machine for you. So without wasting any further time – here are our recommendations:
Leg Press Machine – Our Top Recommendations
There are numerous leg press machines available in the market with varying functionalities, prices and sizes. But to help you in choosing a perfect one for your home, here are our top picks that you can consider for your home leg press workout.
Body-Solid Leg Press & Hack Squat is another leg press machine that is quite efficient when we talk about performance as well as in popularity. This has been introduced by Ironcompany.com and is equipped with a lot of features. It gives you a natural workout feel due to its free-weight resistance controlled by the machine itself.
- Quad track roller based system: It carries an amazing quad track rolling system that operates seamlessly and distributes the weight evenly for both legs and as well as for hack squat position thus helping in a balanced workout in hassle free manner.
- Gauge Diamond Plate Foot Platforms: This leg press machine features extra solid and heavy-Gauge Diamond Plate Foot Platforms for legs. These platforms are non-slippery and help you pull the weight comfortably with the inconvenience.
- Back & Shoulder Support: For a comfortable and relaxed back and shoulder support, Body-Solid Leg Press & Hack Squat carries tough and durable pads with a thickness of around 4 inches. With these, you can have a comfortable workout.
- Lockout: This leg press machine carries three lockout positions for utmost safety of the user.
- Dimensions: Its dimensions include a length of 83″, the width of 34″ and a height of 56″.
- Cost: This Body-Solid Leg Press & Hack Squat costs a total of $1320 that is pretty much affordable.
The Powerline PVLP156X Vertical Leg Press is one of the top leg press machine available in the market, introduced by renowned brand Powerline. It offers you a perfect platform for your leg press exercises that can help you in superb muscle gain. It not only builds your lower body muscles but also reduces the space to be used for exercise due to its compact size.
- Solid Deck: It consists of a solid diamond plate steel press deck that is non-slippery and extra wide. These offer your foot a perfect grip to push the resistance comfortably ensuring your safety.
- Dual Adjustable Steel Locking Pins: It features dual 1/2″ steel locking pins that can be adjusted as per the comfort level of the user. These pins allow you to mount the machine as per the individual height and length of the legs.
- Nylon Busing: Powerline PVLP156X Vertical Leg Press features Nylon bushing that offers you a smooth and consistent motion thus giving you a convenient and safe low body exercise.
- Back & Neck Support: This leg press machine carries comfortable back and neck pads to provide you ultimate comfort while your workout. Since the inappropriate positioning of your leg and back cause-related pains so these features have been added to eliminate these consequences.
- Dimensions: 46 inches in length, 48 inches in width and 54-61 inches in height.
Weider Ultimate Body Works is one of the most affordable solutions to meet your leg press workout needs at home. This inexpensive leg press machine has been introduced by Weider and despite its low cost comes with a bunch of features that are commendable. This is a versatile machine that you cannot only use for leg press but also to shape your arms, back, hips, thighs, and calves.
- Adjustable Incline Bench: This leg press machine comes with an adjustable bench that can be inclined to any angle as per the need of the user. A steeper incline will increase the weight resistance on the legs.
- Resistance Bands: It features four resistance bands that help you to increase the resistance weight up 50 pounds.
- Pulley System: This Weider Ultimate Body Works offers a great range of workout motions with the help of its cable and pulley system. This system enables the user to target a specific group of muscles. This versatility also helps to reduce the total workout time.
- Space Saving: The design of this Body Works machine is such that it conveniently gets folded in such a way that it can easily fit under a bed. Thus you have not to worry about its storage needs.
- Cost: This Weider Ultimate Body Works machine just costs $147. Isn’t it a very reasonable rate?
Yukon Fitness Vertical Leg Press VLP-154 is one of the top leg press machine capable of giving you a strong leg press workout at home. This is also among cost-effective leg press machines that offer amazing workout facilities despite being inexpensive. It offers a high-intensity exercise to develop your glutes, hamstring, calves and quadriceps. It carries a design that makes it capable of fitting even if there is less space availability.
- Three Position Lock: It features a strong three position lock that offers a convenient entry and exit while also ensuring your safety during a workout session.
- Non-Slip Foot Plates: Since foot plates are of great importance in a leg press machine, therefore this machine offers a comfortable, comparatively wider and non-slip foot plates for appropriate foot stability and comfort.
- Back Support: It facilitates you with a comfortable and smooth back support to keep you in good position during your workout.
- Dimensions: Its dimensions consist of a length of 28″, the width of 38″ and a height of 50″ and it can bear a weight up to 600 lbs.
- Cost: Yukon Fitness Vertical Leg Press VLP-154 costs you $329.99 with a lifetime warranty.
XMark Leg Press Hack Squat XM-7616 is another perfect leg press machine to build your lower body muscles. This machine is designed to meet your needs of effective hack squats and leg presses without the need for a spotter. It is one of the most durable and stable leg press machines available in the market.
- Construction: It features a solid steel construction of 11 gauge 2″ x 3″ and 2” x 2” that makes it a strong and long-lasting leg press equipment that is worth the money.
- Hack Squats and Calf Presses: Along with leg presses this machine also helps you in Hack squats and calf presses as well.
- Footboards: The solid footplates featured by this leg press machine can be adjusted to 4 different positions using a simple locking pin. Thus you can work out using a range of angles as per your needs.
- Padded Shoulder, Back & Head Rest: XMark Leg Press Hack Squat XM-7616 offers comfortable support to your back, shoulders, and head during a workout with smooth and comfortable support pads that it carries.
- Dimensions: It’s assembled dimensions include 87″ of length and 36.5 inches in width and it can bear a weight up to 1000 lbs.
- Cost: This leg press machine costs around $1,849.00 with a lifetime warranty.
Why Should You Use Leg Press Machine At Home?
Usually, you’d fine leg press machines in commercial gyms and workout center. But due to evolutions in the fitness equipment industry, these machines have been introduced in comparatively smaller or compact sizes. Also, these can be bought at quite reasonable rates. Thus these compact machines have become popular among most of the exercise lovers as home leg press workout equipment. If you are thinking why to purchase a leg press machine for home when the neighborhood gyms already have this facility, below are a few points that will let you understand the need of having this mean machine at your home.
Cost is one of the most interesting factors that can coax you into buying the best leg press machine for your home. The cost of a compact leg press machine starts only from $200, which is quite reasonable. It is less than the price you will spend on doing the same exercise at any gym. And most importantly by buying this machine, you are spending one-time money unlike your gym, where you will have to incur the expense every week or month.
Another important benefit is that you can save your time by doing a workout at home. You need not spend bounded hours in the gym.
Perfect Fit For Your Size
Usually, the machines available in the gyms are of a standard size and capacity. Everyone may not work out using those machines, especially if one is a beginner. But a compact leg press machine comes with a large number of adjusting features that you can customize easily and work out perfectly. Moreover comfort level is also high in home leg press machines.
Support Advanced Functionality
Nowadays most of the home leg press machines come with high-tech features like solid construction, advanced footboards, comfortable back, and neck supports etc. to make your workout more convenient. Thus you can enjoy such features while doing an advanced workout that you cannot do at any gym.
What Are The Advantages Of Using A Leg Press Machine?
Leg press machines offer a large number of benefits in terms of muscle building and overall fitness capacity. Here are major benefits of leg press machines that you can enjoy by using them on regular basis.
Better Emphasis on Quadriceps
Leg press machines provide a perfect exercise to you quadriceps muscle group. Quadriceps is a group of four muscles in front of your thighs; these muscles enable you to lift your legs and kick. Leg press machines offer you a good space to push the disks. The weight comes down towards your legs and you fold them in V shape again and again before pushing the resistance upwards. This up and down movement of your legs against the heavy force helps muscles to be more strong and firm. This whole workout puts more emphasis on your quadriceps thus building their strength.
Changes in Foot Positions
A leg press machine lets you comfortably change the position of your foot using its solid platform to target multiple aspects of your legs. The wide foot platform featured by a leg press machine also eliminates the risk of slipping of the foot while pushing very heavy weights, since it offers a strong grip to your foot. This way you can better shape your complete lower body part.
A perfect home leg press machine helps you in building muscular legs while also enjoying the comfort of your own home. With a leg press machine, you need not use stabilizer muscles. The progressive overload on the leg press machine helps to increase the muscle mass faster. A leg press machine helps you to focus on your major group of leg muscles thus helps to add pure size to your legs.
Prevent Putting Pressure on the Back
Since a leg press machine is focused on pushing weights from your legs thus it doesn’t put any sort of pressure on your back. Even people with frequent back pains can also exercise leg press using a suitable leg press machine as it does not require much participation of your back
Alternative to Squatting
A leg press machine offers us a solid alternative to squatting. Since squatting cannot be exercised by everyone due to certain physical limitations like poor body structure, back problems, poor hip flexibility and more. So it opens up a different option for you to play with heavy weights. With a perfect leg press machine, you need not compromise with you workout needs due to certain physical limitations.
How To Work On Leg Press Machine Effectively?
Its Proper Arrangement Takes the Weight off Your Back.
While squatting, a lot of pressure is directly channeled to you back. Several studies suggest that squatting can adversely affect your spinal column. Leg press machines have an arrangement that provides support for your back while working out. With a leg press, the workout can be focused on the legs alone. It’s correct positioning helps to work out more effectively.
It Increases the Number of Squats.
Since your back is not in pain and your workout is focused on your legs, leg press machines enable you to increase the number of squats from the original. Legs are considered to have more strength than any other body part because we direct all our weight on them. With a leg press machine, you can increase the strength of your leg muscles, since squat is believed to be the best exercise for them.
It Helps Keeping Injuries Away.
Using a leg press machine helps you to keep your muscles from getting injured. You can adjust the machine to let your thighs from bending, no more than 90 degrees. It allows you to place weight on your muscles only as much as your body permits. This is essential for you for not suffering from a knee injury.
What To Look For In A Leg Press Machine?
Before you buy a leg press machine for your home, there are certain important points that need to be considered so that you can have a perfect machine at a reasonable rate. Have a look at below-mentioned points and don’t ever forget to consider these while buying a leg press machine.
The most important point to first consider is your budget. Know what your budget is, and then research all those leg press machines that fit your budget. It doesn’t matter if your budget is limited; you can still own a great leg press machine, but what you need to do is to research well online by exploring reviews features and more.
Since you are purchasing a leg press machine for you home, so space is another important consideration for this. If you have limited space available in your home then you’d do well to first prepare a checklist of all compact leg press machines that can fit conveniently in your space. You need to thoroughly go through the dimensional properties of each leg press machine you are considering.
You must experience the comfort level delivered by a particular leg press machine. If lying workout on a leg press machine gives you a comfortable feel then it is the reflection of its good quality. This means that your workout routine will not create any type of negative impact on your body like, back pain, neck pain, shoulder pain etc. that are usually caused due to discomfort while workout.
Construction of a leg press machine is another factor that can’t be ignored. You should look for a leg press machine with a construction of 11 gauge steel with at least a diameter of 2”x3”. This construction of a leg press machine reflects its durability and stability.
Pads & Bearings
While choosing a leg press machine you should look for a machine with moulded and polyurethane pads on all the press areas that get in touch with your body. Such types of pads will not smell, dry out and crack due to continuous body contact and sweat. Also, you should look for brass bearings that are oil impregnated since these will help to reduce wear and tear for the long term.
Risks and Injuries
You must study the risks of the leg press before buying it. Some machines do not offer a comprehensive workout session. If your feet are not positioned correctly, you are likely to injure your knees, back and break down your spinal column.
While buying the machine, check which machine targets on which muscles. According to your requirement, choose an appropriate leg press for yourself, after doing complete research, as you are more likely to choose the wrong one.
To sum up, if you are a health and fitness conscious person, you should definitely purchase a perfect leg press machine for your home. Trust us, it can help you build strong lower body muscles, stamina and thus overall physical health. Consider the various leg press options that we have discussed in this guide, while also considering various selection factors. We hope this complete review of latest leg press machines will help you to get the best product for meeting your various workout needs. Keep reading more about various health and fitness products online with us.